Feb 7, 2012

T minus 1 day to Outland

aboutYes that’s right screening tomorrow night at 9.30 on ABC 1 is Outland the ABC’s Gay Science Fiction Fan Comedy Drama. 

All I can think of is thank goodness my taxes are finally going toward a show that tickles my fancy. 

You see I’m a closet SciFi nerd, not on my blog of course but in my wider community. 

I am so sick of the white middle class ocker ozzie rubbish like Packed to the Rafters. Finally we get something that references the science fiction community in Australia.

So if you’re still undecided about what you should be doing tomorrow night check out this interview and then set your recorders for stun I mean 9.30pm

But I’m not gay.

Neither am I but I still enjoyed Queer as Folk.  Outland looks to be the kind of show that will have a broad appeal, besides there’s quite a few people still in the Sci-Fi closet that will be making excuses to slip away to watch.

It’s okay say it with me – I am a science fiction fan and I’m proud.

Here’s the run down on the show from the ABC.

Outland is a six-part comedy series about a gay science fiction fan club and the lives, loves and never-ending dramas of its five members. There’s Max (Toby Truslove), insecure and looking for love; the sexually-adventurous, muffin-baking Andy (Paul Ireland); Rae (Christine Anu), the moral centre and unofficial head of the group; the high-camp, high-maintenance Fab (Adam Richard); and the wealthy but socially-inept Toby (Ben Gerrard).

It’s an odd, and often precarious combination of personalities. Every week they meet in each other’s homes, but as the meetings become more untenable, a decision has to be made – are they willing to commit to the idea of the group or is it time they went their separate ways? Are the slender things that bind them enough? Can science fiction save them all? Outland is a series about belonging, no matter who you are, and how everyone searches to find a place to fit in.

So, I think, unless you don’t appreciate good writing, intelligent humour or you’re a member of the Margaret Court Fan club you're in for some chuckles.


Did you enjoy this post? Would you like to read more? You can subscribe to the blog through a reader,by Email or Follow me on twitter.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...