Mar 9, 2012

Claire Corbett’s, When We Have Wings makes the BJA Shortlist 2012

whenSee.  I have my finger on the pulse.  I could tell the force was strong in this one.1 Claire Corbett who I interviewed on Galactic Chat last weekend has been shortlisted for the BJA 2012.  Her novel When We Have Wings is up against 6 other shortlisted works.

What’s the BJA I hear you say?

The Barbara Jefferis Award is a prize offered by the Australian Society of Authors for 'the best novel written by an Australian author that depicts women and girls in a positive way or otherwise empowers the status of women and girls in society'.

It’s worth $35,000; one of the highest prize values in the Australian literary community. It’s a substantial sum that really has the potential to kick an author onwards and upwards.

And for all those fella’s out there; it’s open to blokes too.

Who was Barbara Jefferis?

Barbara was a novelist, a founding member of the Australian Society of Authors and its first woman President, do check out this page for a bit more on her very interesting life.

The 2012  Shortlist

  • Georgia Blain: Too Close to Home (Vintage)
  • Claire Corbett: When We Have Wings (Allen & Unwin)
  • Anna Funder: All That I Am (Penguin)
  • Gail Jones: Five Bells (Vintage)
  • Gillian Mears: Foal's Bread (Allen & Unwin)
  • Frank Moorhouse: Cold Light (Vintage)

Note that Meg Mundell’s Black Glass , another speculative fiction title that flew under my radar, received a commendation.


1. Actually readers will remember this one nearly slipped under the radar, but this is the internet and I can reshape your memories as well as my own –mwuhahahah….ehem


Did you enjoy this post? Would you like to read more? You can subscribe to the blog through a reader,by Email or Follow me on twitter.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...