We see the work, but I wonder how many of us actually consciously notice it, before diving into the words between the covers. Do we appreciate the way in which a cover can alter the way that we enjoy a book? How black and white interior illustrations can alter our imaginings.
Below are the nominated artworks - bar the Adam Browne black and white interior artwork of which only one is shown.
You’ll notice the category is all small press, again reflecting the support given to Australian artists by that end of the industry.
* Cover art, Nick Stathopoulos, for Andromeda Spaceways Inflight Magazine 56 (ASIM Collective)
* Cover art, Kathleen Jennings, for Midnight and Moonshine (Ticonderoga Publications)
* Illustrations, Adam Browne, for Pyrotechnicon (Coeur de Lion Publishing)
* Cover art and illustrations, Kathleen Jennings, for To Spin a Darker Stair (FableCroft Publishing)
* Cover art, Les Petersen, for Light Touch Paper Stand Clear (Peggy Bright Books)
In terms of “could have beens” I am surprised to not see any of the covers Amanda Rainey did for Fablecroft or Twelfth Planet Press. She creates simple and striking covers that are almost instantly recognizable.
Did you enjoy this post? Would you like to read more? You can subscribe to the blog through a reader,by Email or Follow me on twitter.