Sep 3, 2010

Book Beginnings on Friday- 3 September


Book Beginnings on Friday is a meme hosted by Becky at Page Turners. Anyone can participate; just share the opening sentence of your current read, making sure that you include the title and author so others know what you're reading. If you like, share with everyone why you do, or do not, like the sentence.

This week, one of the books I am reading is John Marsden's The Dead of Night.  Its the second in the tomorrow series and I enjoyed the first so much that I had to get the next.   Below is the first sentence:

Damn this writing. I'd rather sleep. God how I'd love to sleep. But I can't. It's been a long time time since I had a peaceful night sleep.

Okay so that's more than a sentence but - Damn this writing - doesn't leave you with much for discussion.  The second book features the same narrator(Ellie) a the first and similarly we start with Ellie  continuing to write the story or chronicle of the freedom fighters from Wirrawee.

I think this opening does a good job of foreshadowing the rest of the book; reality has set in, the excitement (not sure if this is the right word), the newness of the experience, of being teenage freedom fighters is gone. 

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...